L.A. Art Week 2016 Picks

It’s art season in L.A. and the possibilities are endless. Here’s our quick guide to what to see and do during all of the hullabaloo.

Art Los Angeles Contemporary takes place this weekend at Barker Hangar. Opening night is Thursday and the fair continues through Sunday. We go to the preview for the festivities and the characters (Edward Gorey look-a-like in main photo is a case in point) and return over the weekend to get a better look and catch one of the Conversations/Performances/Artist Talks. The fair focuses on L.A., but with over 80 galleries exhibiting, there are plenty of U.S. and international galleries represented. See our Art Los Angeles Contemporary Guide and ARTSY‘s preview for the complete lowdown. After the fair we head to Local Kitchen and Wine Bar, one of our new, nearby favorites, to unwind.


The always-packed galleries at fresh stART.

fresh-start-santa-monica-2016Next Saturday, February 6, is one-night-only fresh stART at Santa Monica Art Studios. This adrenaline rush of an event happens only once every two years and is packed with artists, collectors and celebrities. Doors open at 6:00 pm and it behooves you to be there right when they do. The walls of Santa Monica Art Studios are covered with art by emerging and more established local and not-so-local artists.

As soon as the doors open, guests start buying and pieces start disappearing from the walls headed for the wrapping room. It definitely creates a sense of urgency and fresh stART is not for the faint of heart or the decision-challenged. If you like something, buy it immediately, because chances are that if you decide to mull things over, the piece will be snapped up. Prices are good and we love the aesthetics of the art selected—fresh, fun and unpredictable. We have always liked how they do things at fresh stART and have the paintings on our walls to prove it. It’s a novel way to buy contemporary art while supporting artists and helping a great cause. All proceeds are donated, 40% of the selling price goes right back to the artist and the remaining 60% goes to a different art-based charity every year. This time it’s H.O.L.A., which provides visual arts programming for inner-city youth. Get your tickets here and we’ll look for you there!

Chris Burden's 'Urban Light' Installation at LACMA.

Chris Burden’s ‘Urban Light’ Installation at LACMA.

On our radar:

StARTup Art Fair L.A.stART-up-Art-Fair-art-Hollywood

New to L.A. this year, this fair provides a venue for emerging and unrepresented artists, and that venue is the guest rooms at the Highland Gardens Hotel in Hollywood. Our friend, independent curator Christine Duval, is on the selection committee and has a great eye. We’re hoping to check it out this weekend.

Paramount-Ranch-Art-Fair-Santa-Monica-MountainsParamount Ranch 3

This unconventional locale creates the perfect excuse to take a not too distant getaway. With art that riffs on the movie set’s western theme, why not take a drive out to the Santa Monica mountains past Malibu to check out the third iteration of this relaxed fair.


Last but not least, over twenty Southern California museums offer free admission this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday. See the full list from LAist here.

The Takeaway


Art Los Angeles Contemporary 
January 29 – January 31, 2016
The Barker Hanger at Santa Monica Airport
3021 Airport Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90405

fresh stART
February 6, 2016
6:00-8:00 pm
Santa Monica Art Studios at Santa Monica Airport
3026 Airport Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90405

StART up Art Fair
January 29–30, 2016
12:00–6:00; 12:00–9:00; 12:00–7:00
Highland Gardens Hotel
7047 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, CA

Paramount Ranch 3
January 30–31, 2016
11:00–5:00 pm
2903 Cornell Road, Agoura Hills, CA 91301


Local Kitchen + Wine Bar
1736 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405

TOP: Opening night at Art Los Angeles Contemporary, in Gallery 1301PE space with an Edward Gorey-inspired guest. ABOVE: Chris Burden’s Urban Light installation at LACMA; photo by RV Sun via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr; Paramount Ranch, photo by Maxwell Williams.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Back to Top

This entry was written by sparkle bungalow and published on January 30, 2016 at 8:00 am. It’s filed under Art, Culture, Eat + Drink, Lifestyle and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

Your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: